The Church of the Holy Cross is a Grade II* listed Victorian French Gothic style church, originally built as a private chapel for the Anglican home and Sisterhood of St Peter. Building work began in 1898, with the building being completed in around 1900. The architect for the chapel was John Loughborough Pearson who, sadly, died before work began. His son, Frank Pearson, was able to take over the contract and complete the chapel.
Mr. Pearson’s architecture was held to be the most beautiful of the last decade of the 19th century. This church is considered to be one of his finest. It is the second largest private chapel in the country, Lancing College chapel being just a few inches longer.
The chapel was bought by the Roman Catholic priestly Society of St Pius X in May 1996 a few years after the convent closed.
Church of the Holy Cross, Sandy Lane, Woking GU22 8BA (view on map)